Old 04-06-2006, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Uleetsa Moscowa

Default advice on muching around a tree where there is grass

I planted three trees (2 Norwegian maples and 1 dwarf magnolia- Zone-5/6-
Cincinnati's northern suburb -Ohio)
The two maples are growing tall and the drop line is slowly expanding. The
magnolia has grown also wider and taller. The original circle around the
trunk where I mulched is too small compared to the drip line.
I am told that I should expand the mulched circle area so that the trees can
spread. There is grass all round.
Now-I have lots of questions. Please feel free to comment
1) DO I EXPAND the MULCHED area?
2) Do I have to remove the grass before mulching? (I am told it is more
harmful to remove grass since roots of the tree are also embedded with the
grass roots)
3) Can I mow the grass to almost the lowest setting of the lawn mower and
mulch?
4) Do I have to add any fertilizer before applying the mulch over the
'clipped' grass?
Thanks for the help
UM

Old 05-06-2006, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tom J

Uleetsa Moscowa wrote:
I planted three trees (2 Norwegian maples and 1 dwarf magnolia-
Zone-5/6- Cincinnati's northern suburb -Ohio)
The two maples are growing tall and the drop line is slowly
expanding. The magnolia has grown also wider and taller. The
original
circle around the trunk where I mulched is too small compared to the
drip line.

What has the area mulched got to do with the size of the tree or the
drip line of a tree. The only need I know for mulch around a tree is
to keep the grass back from the trunk so you are not harming the tree
trunk with the mower. What am I missing??

Tom J

Old 06-06-2006, 12:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 11:41:38 -0400, "Uleetsa Moscowa"
wrote:

I planted three trees (2 Norwegian maples and 1 dwarf magnolia- Zone-5/6-
Cincinnati's northern suburb -Ohio)
The two maples are growing tall and the drop line is slowly expanding. The
magnolia has grown also wider and taller. The original circle around the
trunk where I mulched is too small compared to the drip line.
I am told that I should expand the mulched circle area so that the trees can
spread. There is grass all round.
Now-I have lots of questions. Please feel free to comment
1) DO I EXPAND the MULCHED area?

Don't need to. I have trees that are not mulched at all.

2) Do I have to remove the grass before mulching? (I am told it is more
harmful to remove grass since roots of the tree are also embedded with the
grass roots)

Don't need to, although some grass may grow up through the mulch. You
can put down 4 -5 layers of newspaper then put the mulch on top of
that. Best not to mound mulch next to the bark, as this can promote
disease and bark-gnawing rodents.

3) Can I mow the grass to almost the lowest setting of the lawn mower and
mulch?

Yes.

4) Do I have to add any fertilizer before applying the mulch over the
'clipped' grass?

No.

Thanks for the help
UM

Old 06-06-2006, 06:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

wrote:

I planted three trees (2 Norwegian maples and 1 dwarf
magnolia-
Zone-5/6- Cincinnati's northern suburb -Ohio)
The two maples are growing tall and the drop line is slowly
expanding. The magnolia has grown also wider and taller. The
original circle around the trunk where I mulched is too small
compared to the drip line.
I am told that I should expand the mulched circle area so
that
the trees can spread. There is grass all round.
Now-I have lots of questions. Please feel free to comment
1) DO I EXPAND the MULCHED area?

Don't need to. I have trees that are not mulched at all.

Yes. The trees will be competing with the grass for water and
nutrients if you don't.

[...]

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 06-06-2006, 08:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chelsea Christenson

"Tom J" wrote in message
k.net...
What has the area mulched got to do with the size of the tree or the drip
line of a tree. The only need I know for mulch around a tree is to keep
the grass back from the trunk so you are not harming the tree trunk with
the mower. What am I missing??

Well, there's also the root system. I have a couple of locusts, and the
aboveground roots have extended beyond the original mulch ring.