Old 06-06-2006, 02:19 PM posted to rec.ponds
Hal

Default Cloudy Water

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 19:40:39 +0000, kevin turpin
wrote:

About 5 Days Ago I Re-potted My Pond Plants With New Aquatic Soil,
However Since Then The Water Has Failed To Clear. I Have Turned The Pum
Off For 12 Hours To Let The Water Settle But To No Avail.

Aluminum sulfate at the rate of 2.6 oz per 1000 gallons is suggested
for 20 ppm to clear turbid ponds. It also adds a bit of acid and
you should check KH before using and it may kill snails, although it
hasn't killed all of mine yet. It also kills algae, but if you use
this to kill algae, you become chemically dependent, because the
decaying algae produces nutrients to feed the next algae bloom and the
cycle repeats unless you have a filter and growing plants in place
that will help to overcome the cycle of bloom, kill, bloom.......

I found mine at a hardware, garden, feed and seed type center that was
also an ACE Hardware Store. The price almost doubled to about $8 US
since I bought the last 4lb bag, but it works for me.

Regards,

Hal