Old 06-06-2006, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default What should I do with my radishes?

DominiqueB wrote:
Can anyone tell me what I should do with my radishes? I have grown some
from seed in little self-degrading pots and they are now ready to plant
out. I was going to plant them in a fairly large tub but am not sure if
they prefer sun or shade and whether they should go directly into the
ground. Also how will I know when they are ready to harvest?
Hope someone can help
Regards
Dominique

They like the light broken a bit by other vegetables, but full light is
ok if the soil holds moisture. I've never tried transplanting,
believing it's not a good idea for root crops; but if they're in
degradable pots you should be OK. They need to be grown very quickly:
don't want to dry out. When they're ready you can usually see the tops
of the roots looking toothsome -- takes about three weeks, and after
four weeks they'll probably be disgusting.

Another time I'd sow them direct where you want them to grow: because
they're so fast, you can even sow them in the rows with other
vegetables. Just a few every couple of weeks.

--
Mike.