Old 06-06-2006, 09:58 AM
Registered User

Location: Bournemouth
Question What should I do with my radishes?

Can anyone tell me what I should do with my radishes? I have grown some from seed in little self-degrading pots and they are now ready to plant out. I was going to plant them in a fairly large tub but am not sure if they prefer sun or shade and whether they should go directly into the ground. Also how will I know when they are ready to harvest?
Hope someone can help
Regards
Dominique
Old 06-06-2006, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default What should I do with my radishes?

DominiqueB wrote:
Can anyone tell me what I should do with my radishes? I have grown some
from seed in little self-degrading pots and they are now ready to plant
out. I was going to plant them in a fairly large tub but am not sure if
they prefer sun or shade and whether they should go directly into the
ground. Also how will I know when they are ready to harvest?
Hope someone can help
Regards
Dominique

They like the light broken a bit by other vegetables, but full light is
ok if the soil holds moisture. I've never tried transplanting,
believing it's not a good idea for root crops; but if they're in
degradable pots you should be OK. They need to be grown very quickly:
don't want to dry out. When they're ready you can usually see the tops
of the roots looking toothsome -- takes about three weeks, and after
four weeks they'll probably be disgusting.

Another time I'd sow them direct where you want them to grow: because
they're so fast, you can even sow them in the rows with other
vegetables. Just a few every couple of weeks.

--
Mike.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Squeezeweasel

Mike Lyle wrote:
DominiqueB wrote:
Can anyone tell me what I should do with my radishes? I have grown some
from seed in little self-degrading pots and they are now ready to plant
out. I was going to plant them in a fairly large tub but am not sure if
they prefer sun or shade and whether they should go directly into the
ground. Also how will I know when they are ready to harvest?
Hope someone can help
Regards
Dominique

I've had much more success with radishes in tubs - they seem much less
prone to pests this way.

--
www.gastronomydomine.com

radishes donald girod Lawns 0 14-07-2003 05:46 PM
radishes...storage, seeds.... Simon Stenkle Edible Gardening 1 08-07-2003 04:10 PM
What I've learnt about Radishes Steve Harris United Kingdom 3 27-04-2003 09:56 PM
Radishes Morgan Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Radishes - my Waterloo Polar Edible Gardening 7 25-03-2003 11:20 PM