Old 17-03-2003, 08:32 PM
jcart003

Default Grape Arbor Wood Selection

Dwight Sipler wrote in message ...
Henry wrote:

Hello,

I am planning to build a rather large grape arbor and I am reading a great deal
about the dangers of PT wood. What are the alternatives?..

Replacing the wood every 3-6 years depending on the type of wood used

Galvanized steel fence posts

I've seen (at Home Depot?) a steel spike with a pocket on top for a 4X4
post. The steel goes into the ground and the pocket holds the wood above
the ground. I presume it has a drain hole so the wood won't stay wet in
the pocket. I have never used them and don't know how long they would
last. Anyone out there have any experience with them? At least if you
use PT wood with them the wood isn't in constant contact with the
ground, so leaching of the PT components would be slower.

Depending on where you live.... try and find black locust fence posts,
they last about two years longer than stone. If you are in the east
and there is a feed store in the vicinity look on the bulletin board
there or ask around, they won't be square but they last! Other rot
resistant woods are cypress, redwood, black walnut, and cedar.