Old 17-03-2003, 01:44 PM
Henry

Default Grape Arbor Wood Selection

Hello,

I am planning to build a rather large grape arbor and I am reading a great deal
about the dangers of PT wood. What are the alternatives?

Thanks in advance.
Laytahs

-Henry

Old 17-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Dwight Sipler

Henry wrote:

Hello,

I am planning to build a rather large grape arbor and I am reading a great deal
about the dangers of PT wood. What are the alternatives?..

Replacing the wood every 3-6 years depending on the type of wood used

Galvanized steel fence posts

I've seen (at Home Depot?) a steel spike with a pocket on top for a 4X4
post. The steel goes into the ground and the pocket holds the wood above
the ground. I presume it has a drain hole so the wood won't stay wet in
the pocket. I have never used them and don't know how long they would
last. Anyone out there have any experience with them? At least if you
use PT wood with them the wood isn't in constant contact with the
ground, so leaching of the PT components would be slower.
Old 17-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Derryl Killan

Hi Henry, I assume you are going to have grapes or vines on your arbor.
Painting the arbor will not be possible when it is covered with vines. Use
pressure treated wood and save the labor of painting.

Derryl

Old 17-03-2003, 08:32 PM
jcart003

Dwight Sipler wrote in message ...
Henry wrote:

Hello,

I am planning to build a rather large grape arbor and I am reading a great deal
about the dangers of PT wood. What are the alternatives?..

Replacing the wood every 3-6 years depending on the type of wood used

Galvanized steel fence posts

I've seen (at Home Depot?) a steel spike with a pocket on top for a 4X4
post. The steel goes into the ground and the pocket holds the wood above
the ground. I presume it has a drain hole so the wood won't stay wet in
the pocket. I have never used them and don't know how long they would
last. Anyone out there have any experience with them? At least if you
use PT wood with them the wood isn't in constant contact with the
ground, so leaching of the PT components would be slower.

Depending on where you live.... try and find black locust fence posts,
they last about two years longer than stone. If you are in the east
and there is a feed store in the vicinity look on the bulletin board
there or ask around, they won't be square but they last! Other rot
resistant woods are cypress, redwood, black walnut, and cedar.
Old 18-03-2003, 01:32 AM
Trish K.

resistant woods are cypress, redwood, black walnut, and cedar.

Over 10 years ago I started an island garden to cover a stump. Last
year I tried to dig there but cedar seems to last and last.

*shrug

Olden day farmers here liked it much for that.

TK

Old 18-03-2003, 01:32 AM
Trish K.

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 01:20:47 GMT, Trish K. wrote:

resistant woods are cypress, redwood, black walnut, and cedar.

Over 10 years ago I started an island garden to cover a stump. Last
year I tried to dig there but cedar seems to last and last.

*shrug

Olden day farmers here liked it much for that.

TK

juniperus virginiana

[IMG] code is On

Grape Vines Vast Selection 25% off Kathryn Selfe Marketplace 0 01-08-2010 10:01 AM
Cutting grape vine after last grape bunch .. (yes..no...) ? MrMe Edible Gardening 4 21-05-2010 12:19 AM
Cobcord Grape arbor THURSTON ACKERMAN Gardening 1 20-08-2006 10:14 PM
Grape Arbor Matty U! Gardening 4 17-06-2005 08:42 AM
old dead wood from a tree stronger than any other wood from that tree? Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 10 09-01-2005 08:14 AM