Old 06-06-2006, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Why won't my Peonies flower

VisionSet wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

[...]
I can't diagnose the problem; but wonder if there's a lack of water.
They like well-cultivated ground with lots of moisture-retentive
composty stuff in it. Take it from me, however, that piling more
material on top of a peony crown is a fine way of stopping it flowering
for ever. They don't want to be deeper than an inch. So, yes, do mulch
-- after a good watering; but keep it away from the centre. Don't
damage the roots, as they dislike disturbance.

I dumped a goodly pile on the centre of mine. Doubled the number of flowers
this year.

We live and learn. But I still wouldn't risk it.

--
Mike.