Old 06-06-2006, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan kearn

Default Why won't my Peonies flower

I have two peonies both have got buds one is begining flower the other
is as tight as a clenched fist and does not look as though it will
flower. The same thing happened last year one flowered the other did
not. Is there anything I can do to make it flower.

thanks

Old 06-06-2006, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VisionSet

"alan kearn" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have two peonies both have got buds one is begining flower the other
is as tight as a clenched fist and does not look as though it will
flower. The same thing happened last year one flowered the other did
not. Is there anything I can do to make it flower.

Do not disturb the roots.
Put a pile of well composted compost on top of the spot in the winter.

--
Mike W

Old 06-06-2006, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

VisionSet wrote:
"alan kearn" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have two peonies both have got buds one is begining flower the other
is as tight as a clenched fist and does not look as though it will
flower. The same thing happened last year one flowered the other did
not. Is there anything I can do to make it flower.

Do not disturb the roots.
Put a pile of well composted compost on top of the spot in the winter.

I can't diagnose the problem; but wonder if there's a lack of water.
They like well-cultivated ground with lots of moisture-retentive
composty stuff in it. Take it from me, however, that piling more
material on top of a peony crown is a fine way of stopping it flowering
for ever. They don't want to be deeper than an inch. So, yes, do mulch
-- after a good watering; but keep it away from the centre. Don't
damage the roots, as they dislike disturbance.

--
Mike.

Old 06-06-2006, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VisionSet

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

VisionSet wrote:
"alan kearn" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have two peonies both have got buds one is begining flower the

other
is as tight as a clenched fist and does not look as though it will
flower. The same thing happened last year one flowered the other did
not. Is there anything I can do to make it flower.

Do not disturb the roots.
Put a pile of well composted compost on top of the spot in the winter.

I can't diagnose the problem; but wonder if there's a lack of water.
They like well-cultivated ground with lots of moisture-retentive
composty stuff in it. Take it from me, however, that piling more
material on top of a peony crown is a fine way of stopping it flowering
for ever. They don't want to be deeper than an inch. So, yes, do mulch
-- after a good watering; but keep it away from the centre. Don't
damage the roots, as they dislike disturbance.

I dumped a goodly pile on the centre of mine. Doubled the number of flowers
this year.

--
Mike W

Old 06-06-2006, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"VisionSet" wrote in message

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

VisionSet wrote:
"alan kearn" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

After seeing an item about this on a TV prog, I dug mine up, filled the hole
with manure, and dumped it on top, just eased it in a bit, and now it
flowers a treat even though some of the roots are still showing above
ground.

Steve

Old 06-06-2006, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

VisionSet wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

[...]
I can't diagnose the problem; but wonder if there's a lack of water.
They like well-cultivated ground with lots of moisture-retentive
composty stuff in it. Take it from me, however, that piling more
material on top of a peony crown is a fine way of stopping it flowering
for ever. They don't want to be deeper than an inch. So, yes, do mulch
-- after a good watering; but keep it away from the centre. Don't
damage the roots, as they dislike disturbance.

I dumped a goodly pile on the centre of mine. Doubled the number of flowers
this year.

We live and learn. But I still wouldn't risk it.

--
Mike.