Old 17-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Kenni Judd

Default Question Schomborgkia Tibicinis?

Hi, all: I've had this in my personal collection for several years, and
agree with the previously-posted culture advice [except to tell you they can
actually take not just strap-leaf, but terete vanda light (full sun)]. In
the wilds of Belize, I've seen them growing on palm trees on the beach,
sometimes literally hanging out over the waves, and on other trees at the
edges of river banks where they get full sun much of the day. At this light
level, they get very yellow, but it helps keep the spike size down to 6-8';
grown shadier, we've had spikes reach 14'. I mounted one for a client in an
affluent gated community; I put it on a palm tree by his front door, and
when it bloomed he couldn't park in his garage for a month G.

For the gentleman who just acquired one: yes, let it bloom before you slab
it. It would be a shame to blast the spikes you have started by disturbing
all the roots. But don't hold your breath waiting for the flowers, those
spikes have a lot of growing to do yet! And yes, you may well be able to
leave it as-potted indefinitely, given your description.

For those of you wanting one: We have a very limited quantity available for
sale: a few "young" plants, 4 years out of flask and still at least 2,
probably 3, years away from blooming, at $35 postpaid [recently mounted out
of their 4" seedling pots]; and a _very_ few mature plants, established on
mounts, 10+ growths, starting at $50 plus actual shipping charges [Priority
Mail]. If you are seriously interested in one of the big plants, drop us a
line; we can e-mail you a picture of the available choices. We weighed the
one with 13 pbs and it came to 2 lbs. [figure 3 after wrapping and boxing],
for purposes of estimating your shipping cost.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com