Old 08-06-2006, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default washing up solution spray for aphids?

On 8/6/06 12:06, in article ,
"Chris J Dixon" wrote:

Michael wrote:

Sacha Hubbard wrote:
On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 11:01:59 +0100, fourmations wrote
(in article ):

snip
Put a drop of e.g. Fairy Liquid into a plastic spray bottle, fill it with
cold water and off you go. It's a very old remedy and I remember my
grandfather using it, though I doubt it was Fairy Liquid!

Is that literally a drop? What sort of concentration are we looking at
here?

To merge threads here, I had trouble with woolly aphid on a large
ornamental crab apple and used washing up liquid at the
concentration of a generous squirt to a 5 litre Killaspray. The
aphids did get knocked back, but they were soon followed by all
the leaves dropping off.

The next winter I tried a tar oil wash (when it was still
permitted) but this was difficult to use without killing stuff in
my, and my neighbour's, borders.

Eventually I admitted defeat, and a snake bark maple is now
filling the spot.

Chris

So the answer, IME, is a 'drop' in one of those small hand held spray
bottles.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk