Old 07-06-2006, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
fourmations

Default washing up solution spray for aphids?

hi all

went to homebase to get that soap for aphids
they didnt have it, garden person told to use mild
washing up liquid solutions

is this okay, for food plants
(basil, tomatoes, jalapenos, peppers)

tia

4

Old 07-06-2006, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"fourmations" wrote in message
hi all

went to homebase to get that soap for aphids
they didnt have it, garden person told to use mild
washing up liquid solutions

is this okay, for food plants
(basil, tomatoes, jalapenos, peppers)

tia

4

It's fine. You already shower in the stuff and eat what's left on your
plates after washing them up.
Any detergent or soap will have some effect on the bugs-even if they just
end up squeaky clean.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 11:01:59 +0100, fourmations wrote
(in article ):

hi all

went to homebase to get that soap for aphids
they didnt have it, garden person told to use mild
washing up liquid solutions

is this okay, for food plants
(basil, tomatoes, jalapenos, peppers)

Yes, it's fine. It's just that, strictly speaking, the EU doesn't like
anyone to use anything for a purpose for which it isn't designated. Someone
in an office somewhere ran out of paper to push around so they made that one
up!
Put a drop of e.g. Fairy Liquid into a plastic spray bottle, fill it with
cold water and off you go. It's a very old remedy and I remember my
grandfather using it, though I doubt it was Fairy Liquid!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-06-2006, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha Hubbard wrote:
It's just that, strictly speaking, the EU doesn't like
anyone to use anything for a purpose for which it isn't designated.

And, therefore, the department of jobsworths could prosecute Homebase
for giving that advice. I think I want to go back to 1921 and start
again.

Old 07-06-2006, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

wrote in message
ps.com...
Sacha Hubbard wrote:
It's just that, strictly speaking, the EU doesn't like
anyone to use anything for a purpose for which it isn't designated.

And, therefore, the department of jobsworths could prosecute Homebase
for giving that advice. I think I want to go back to 1921 and start
again.

A point was made on here, something I hadn't myself thought
of in my wholehearted endorsement of washing up liquid is that
too frequent an application of even soft soap spay can have
a harmful effect on the cutin, the waxy layer which is found
on all leaves. Some species being noticeably more waxy than
others.

Washing up liquid is presumably may even more damaging on
susceptible plants. At least if applied too often in too
strong a concentration.

Maybe if it was rinsed off with clear water shortly after
application this might limit the damage.

michael adams

Old 08-06-2006, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael

Sacha Hubbard wrote:
On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 11:01:59 +0100, fourmations wrote
(in article ):

snip
Put a drop of e.g. Fairy Liquid into a plastic spray bottle, fill it with
cold water and off you go. It's a very old remedy and I remember my
grandfather using it, though I doubt it was Fairy Liquid!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
email address on web site

Is that literally a drop? What sort of concentration are we looking at
here?

M.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris J Dixon

Michael wrote:

Sacha Hubbard wrote:
On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 11:01:59 +0100, fourmations wrote
(in article ):

snip
Put a drop of e.g. Fairy Liquid into a plastic spray bottle, fill it with
cold water and off you go. It's a very old remedy and I remember my
grandfather using it, though I doubt it was Fairy Liquid!

Is that literally a drop? What sort of concentration are we looking at
here?

To merge threads here, I had trouble with woolly aphid on a large
ornamental crab apple and used washing up liquid at the
concentration of a generous squirt to a 5 litre Killaspray. The
aphids did get knocked back, but they were soon followed by all
the leaves dropping off.

The next winter I tried a tar oil wash (when it was still
permitted) but this was difficult to use without killing stuff in
my, and my neighbour's, borders.

Eventually I admitted defeat, and a snake bark maple is now
filling the spot.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Michael" wrote
Sacha Hubbard wrote:
snip
Put a drop of e.g. Fairy Liquid into a plastic spray bottle, fill it with
cold water and off you go. It's a very old remedy and I remember my
grandfather using it, though I doubt it was Fairy Liquid!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Is that literally a drop? What sort of concentration are we looking at
here?
M.

My 'drop' is a 'dollop' which reminds me of this
http://www.ljconline.nl/indexjennyrecipe.htm :~))

I don't think the amount is too vital as long as its not too much.
Jenny

Old 08-06-2006, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris J Dixon

JennyC wrote:

I don't think the amount is too vital as long as its not too much.

To be pedantic, isn't that a rather circular argument?

Chris