Old 09-06-2006, 06:20 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default more about mushrooms on lawn.....

JerseyMike wrote:
my usual routine for watering is everyother day for the time i said in my
OP. i use a regular lawn sprinkler, i don't have a sprinkler system, but i
even those people who have sprinkler systens who water every day, even when
it's raining, never get 'shrooms. i'm perplexed.

mike.............

Time means little without knowing the flow rate. Watering every other
day is way too often and likely also not deep enough. This keeps the
the lawn wet too much, which promotes shallow roots, fungus and
disease. It's especially bad if you do it early evening, so that it
stays wet the longest. As another poster pointed out, your lawn may
have soil which is different. Mushrooms like decaying matter, like
chips of wood, and your soil may have more of it.

I'd cut way back on the watering. You want to give the lawn 3/4 of an
inch to an inch at a time so that it's watered deeply every 4 to 7
days, depending on heat, wind, sun, etc. Don't be afraid to let the
lawn start to go off color before applying water. Water it as
infrequently as possible.

I live in central NJ and right now, it's been raining every day for
over a week. I have small brown mushrooms scattered through my lawn,
the most I've ever had. But fortunately the truf is so thick, they are
not noticeable unless you look closely. But, soon as it stops
raining, they will disappear. They only surface in my lawn when it is
being kept constantly wet.