Old 09-06-2006, 01:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default more about mushrooms on lawn.....

Jonny wrote:
Sort of is. Moved in house with no lawn, poor soil and rocky, and sits on
appreciable elevation leaning north to south. Some areas simply won't
support any kind of non-native grass without introducing alot of topsoil.
Got 3 pallets of St Augustine and 2 truckloads of topsoil. The depth of the
St. Augustine varies a little but is around 10 to 12 ft from house where it
ends.

The runoff factor is high using common sprinkling methods so I noticed due
the hilly nature of the yard. The soaker hose seems the most effective way
to accomplish irrigation I've found in such cases as mine. I can water 2
24' sections with one soaker hose. The yard is divided in half due the
front entry pathway from the fence. The sides being in excess of 50' can
only be watered properly by moving the hose again. The backyard doesn't
need as much water as it faces north, and gets alot of shade from the house.
I use a sprinkler here. The grass is much more lush here as well and
elevation isn't a factor. Basically almost level. The remainder of the
yard lacked any vertical blade growth, almost all stringers. Soil dried out
quickly using aerated watering methods. Soaking with aeration sprinklers
resulted in big pools of water elsewhere, rather than the yard.
The grass in these areas has bounced back using the soaker method. There
are few areas of exposed soil made by the dogs walking. These areas don't
seem to dry up as quickly. Alot of it has turned to vertical blades. I
also introduced an iron additive, Texas Greensand, which seems to have
eliminated the yellowing.
--
Jonny

And again, what does this have to do with reducing mushrooms?