Old 09-06-2006, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Not@home

Default How to SAFELY eliminate a rat?

We used DCon, a poison, and it did not appear to bother the chipmunks,
but I don't count them so I can't say with absolute certainty that none
were harmed. I would suggest you consult a veterinarian to find the
best way to solve the problem. You could take along a picture of the
"rat" so the vet could identify exactly what it is.

ChelleBell wrote:

I know they say; "Where this is one, there are many", but my dad has a
rat that thinks it's a chipmunk! He feeds with them under the bird
feeders (he doesn't climb them like they do) alongside the birds, plays
hide-n-seek games, runs with them in the yard, and hides food with
them!

His house is atop a mountain above the Ohio River. The only time rats
ever ventured atop this several mile hill is when the river has extreme
flooding, which is not often.

He loves his wildlife so the deterent must be safe. He especially
loves his 'chippy's', even named each one of them! And there are many!
And if the neighborhood were to find out that he has a rat and did
nothing about it.. well that would make the front newspaper!

My mom was told to place pepperment outside to eliminate just the rat.
(Which by the way, looks like a cross between something and something
else).

Thanks for any advice.....