Old 10-06-2006, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Drough Orders- what exactly is prohibited?

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
Can anyone explain what exactly is prohibited by a Drought Order? I need

know since my water authority has now applied for one and it may come into
force in a couple of months.

Apparently a Drought Order prohibits "all non-essential use of water", and

wonder how this applies to the gardener. Legally, what non-essential use

of
water CAN be prohibited? Specifically, I'd like to know how this applies

to:

* watering the garden with a watering can using mains water
* watering the garden with rainwater collected in a water butt with hose
irrigation OR with a watering can

According to this -

quote

The first drought order in England and Wales in 11 years has
come into force, affecting 650,000 people.
The order by Sutton and East Surrey Water extends an existing
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^
hosepipe ban to add restrictions on sports grounds, parks, car
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^
washes and window cleaners.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/5022690.stm

In other words it simply extends any restrictitions already
imposed on domestic consumers by a hosepipe ban, to everybody
else.

But it doesn't add any further restrictions to domestic consumers.

That's only achieved by the next stage - by cutting off the supply
altogether and forcing customers to use standpipes in the street.

"Water" in any eventuality as far as the legislaton goes, only means
water obtained through pipes from the supplier. Not rain water.

The problem with "grey" or recycled water may be that technically its
originally from the pipes. And maybe there's nothing to stop people
from deliberatly filling the bath, just so as to use the "recycled"
water.

But there can certainly be no objection to rainwater IMO.

michael adams

If anyone can point me to the text of the relevant legislation that would

be
good too....

Thanks for any help with this!

--