Old 10-06-2006, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Corfield

Default Drough Orders- what exactly is prohibited?

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 13:34:08 +0100, VX
wrote:

Can anyone explain what exactly is prohibited by a Drought Order? I need to
know since my water authority has now applied for one and it may come into
force in a couple of months.

Apparently a Drought Order prohibits "all non-essential use of water", and I
wonder how this applies to the gardener. Legally, what non-essential use of
water CAN be prohibited? Specifically, I'd like to know how this applies to:

* watering the garden with a watering can using mains water
* watering the garden with rainwater collected in a water butt with hose
irrigation OR with a watering can

If anyone can point me to the text of the relevant legislation that would be
good too....

http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2006/060515c.htm

This tells you what you need to know. I would imagine Thames Water's
order will be the same.

I don't think there are further issues for domestic gardeners. It gets
more serious for other gardens, parks and attractions though.

We are looking at this at work as it means that we cannot have trains on
the underground washed other than for safety and hygiene reasons. We're
not yet clear whether safety extends to the windows of the carriages
being able to be washed to allow people to see where they are!
--
Paul C