Old 11-06-2006, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

Default Drough Orders- what exactly is prohibited?

In article m, VX
writes
Can anyone explain what exactly is prohibited by a Drought Order? I need to
know since my water authority has now applied for one and it may come into
force in a couple of months.

Apparently a Drought Order prohibits "all non-essential use of water", and I
wonder how this applies to the gardener. Legally, what non-essential use of
water CAN be prohibited? Specifically, I'd like to know how this applies to:

* watering the garden with a watering can using mains water
* watering the garden with rainwater collected in a water butt with hose
irrigation OR with a watering can

If anyone can point me to the text of the relevant legislation that would be
good too....

Thanks for any help with this!

You should be able to get to a website of your local water company and
it will tell you what they deem to be non essential. At the moment I
believe you can fill up water butts etc with a short piece of hose from
the tap to the butt/empty dustbin but you can't water directly from the
end of it IF it's attached to the mains.
I've just ordered one of those pumps that gardener's World showed on
Friday so I can pump bath water out through a hose. I'll have two baths
a day if it means I can water my cuttings etc!
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association