Old 13-06-2006, 03:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
bobc

Default trying to identify a couple Phals

Hi Joanna,
Thanks for the info. The leaves aren't too dark a green, although the
lighting issue has crossed my mind. Once I make room in my window,
I'll be moving them a bit closer to the light. There is enough light
to flower Onc Twinkle (white) at the edge of the sill farthest from the
actual glass, and the Phals will be about six inches behind the
oncidium.
As for temperature differences, the windows are open Spring to Fall,
24/7 (until the family starts lighting fires in the living room - lol
.... Well, ok, maybe a slight exaggeration for comic effect! :-)
I have a pink Phal with silvery/green banded leaves that flowers every
year (so far), but only six or so flowers each time, and another with
small 'mini' flowers that has about eight or ten or so each time.
(They were rescued from certain death!! so you would think they'd be a
_bit_ more appreciative!!)
I guess I'll just have to wait.
I figure Dori2 is now a part of the family? :-)
Bob

J Fortuna wrote:
Bob,
No, no special cultivation techniques for small Phals, same as for large
ones.

I once read though that the two most common reasons why a Phal may grow
leaves well but not flower are

1) not enough light throughout the year ....
2) not providing the temperature difference of 10-15 degrees

Fahrenheit
between night and day for about a week or two that would stimulate spike
growth to initiate flowering ....

Occasionally I check it for spikes, and then I will announce to my
husband in an excited voice, "Guess what, Dori2 is growing ..." pause
"another leaf!" ;-) I believe it currently has 18 leaves, and the maximum
that it has ever had was 20 leaves.