Old 13-06-2006, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jupiter

Default Spent hops

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:08:07 +0100, "Bobby"
wrote:

I recently contacted my local brewery to ask what they did with their spent
hops. To my delight they said that they usually just throw them out into
the bin. I asked if they would have any objections to me calling and
collecting them for use in my compost and also as a mulch/soil improver and
they were only too pleased to see them being re-used. I called last night
and there were five large bags waiting for me.

Has anyone on here had any experience of using spent hops on their garden?

They are an excellent fertiliser. I'd ask them for the sparged grains
too. They probably get thrown away as well.