Old 13-06-2006, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bobby

Default Spent hops

I recently contacted my local brewery to ask what they did with their spent
hops. To my delight they said that they usually just throw them out into
the bin. I asked if they would have any objections to me calling and
collecting them for use in my compost and also as a mulch/soil improver and
they were only too pleased to see them being re-used. I called last night
and there were five large bags waiting for me.

Has anyone on here had any experience of using spent hops on their garden?

Old 13-06-2006, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Bobby" contains these words:

I recently contacted my local brewery to ask what they did with their spent
hops. To my delight they said that they usually just throw them out into
the bin. I asked if they would have any objections to me calling and
collecting them for use in my compost and also as a mulch/soil improver and
they were only too pleased to see them being re-used. I called last night
and there were five large bags waiting for me.

Has anyone on here had any experience of using spent hops on their garden?

Yes, I've spread many tons of them as a 4" fertilising, weed
suppressing mulch on a garden where I work (from the local brewery
very nearby). When fresh they smell pretty strongly of stale beer and
when they're a bit older they smell like vomit. However, once they're on
the garden either smell soon disappears.

Janet

--
Isle of Arran Open Gardens weekend 21,22,23 July 2006
5 UKP three-day adult ticket (funds go to island charities) buys entry
Old 13-06-2006, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jupiter

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:08:07 +0100, "Bobby"
wrote:

I recently contacted my local brewery to ask what they did with their spent
hops. To my delight they said that they usually just throw them out into
the bin. I asked if they would have any objections to me calling and
collecting them for use in my compost and also as a mulch/soil improver and
they were only too pleased to see them being re-used. I called last night
and there were five large bags waiting for me.

Has anyone on here had any experience of using spent hops on their garden?

They are an excellent fertiliser. I'd ask them for the sparged grains
too. They probably get thrown away as well.

Old 14-06-2006, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bobby

I recently contacted my local brewery to ask what they did with their
spent
hops. To my delight they said that they usually just throw them out into
the bin. I asked if they would have any objections to me calling and
collecting them for use in my compost and also as a mulch/soil improver
and
they were only too pleased to see them being re-used. I called last night
and there were five large bags waiting for me.

Has anyone on here had any experience of using spent hops on their garden?

They are an excellent fertiliser. I'd ask them for the sparged grains
too. They probably get thrown away as well.

They said that their malt is already taken away by a local farmer and he
feeds it to his cattle. However, there were approx 30 sacks of spent malt
waiting for pick up when I called round the other day so I may ask the
brewery if they would miss any of that too. Not sure if the malt is given
FOC to the farmer though but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

Can I turn my spent annuals into the soil? Natty_Dread Gardening 2 14-09-2003 10:02 PM
Re(2): Spent mushroom soil Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 12 09-08-2003 08:02 PM
Spent mushroom soil Edible Gardening 7 06-08-2003 03:42 PM
Spent Toner Cartridges Wanted Norman Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Removing Spent Flowers from Kangaroo Paw Anthony P Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:32 AM