Old 14-06-2006, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Diminishing rose colour query

On 14/6/06 19:09, in article ,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 18:34:20 +0100, Sacha wrote:

We have a fairly mature Mme. Isaac Pereire rose on an arch in the nursery.
This year we have noticed that its colour and scent are much more subdued
than in all the previous years. Normally, this rose is an eye searingly
gorgeous pink and has a scent that knocks you flying.
Has anyone else experienced this with this rose or, indeed, any other?

We used to have 'New Dawn' in our previous garden; a climber with
lovely very pale pink flowers, but which were getting even paler. My
aunt suggested it needed magnesium, which it duly got and had the
desired effect, which surprised me as my aunt was not known in the
family for her gardening expertise!

Funnily enough, we talked about that today so Mmme Isaac will be getting the
Rennies soon! Many thanks for confirming that. As I said, this is quite a
mature rose and it's planted in a place where it gets a lot of sun but also
a lot of wind. AND it's competing with a Holboellia and is planted in a
hoggin pathway, so it's not getting much tlc! However, I will also just add
that someone who works for us had a cutting from that rose a year ago and
hers has come up very pale, too!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk