Old 13-06-2006, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Diminishing rose colour query

We have a fairly mature Mme. Isaac Pereire rose on an arch in the nursery.
This year we have noticed that its colour and scent are much more subdued
than in all the previous years. Normally, this rose is an eye searingly
gorgeous pink and has a scent that knocks you flying.
Has anyone else experienced this with this rose or, indeed, any other?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-06-2006, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 18:34:20 +0100, Sacha wrote:

We have a fairly mature Mme. Isaac Pereire rose on an arch in the nursery.
This year we have noticed that its colour and scent are much more subdued
than in all the previous years. Normally, this rose is an eye searingly
gorgeous pink and has a scent that knocks you flying.
Has anyone else experienced this with this rose or, indeed, any other?

We used to have 'New Dawn' in our previous garden; a climber with
lovely very pale pink flowers, but which were getting even paler. My
aunt suggested it needed magnesium, which it duly got and had the
desired effect, which surprised me as my aunt was not known in the
family for her gardening expertise!

--
Chris

Old 15-06-2006, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
We have a fairly mature Mme. Isaac Pereire rose on an arch in the nursery.
This year we have noticed that its colour and scent are much more subdued
than in all the previous years. Normally, this rose is an eye searingly
gorgeous pink and has a scent that knocks you flying.
Has anyone else experienced this with this rose or, indeed, any other?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(email address on website)

I have a climbing rose that I swear used to have red flowers but I
moved it and now they're pink :-) I wonder if it's anything to do with
the drought :-p

Old 15-06-2006, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 19:20:11 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Funnily enough, we talked about that today so Mmme Isaac will be getting the
Rennies soon!

LOL! Rennies are mostly calcium carbonate, 'lime' to urglers. Mine got
Epsom Salts: same part of the anatomy but rather different effect!

--
Chris

Old 15-06-2006, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

wrote:
Sacha wrote:
We have a fairly mature Mme. Isaac Pereire rose on an arch in the nursery.
This year we have noticed that its colour and scent are much more subdued
than in all the previous years. Normally, this rose is an eye searingly
gorgeous pink and has a scent that knocks you flying.
Has anyone else experienced this with this rose or, indeed, any other?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(email address on website)

I have a climbing rose that I swear used to have red flowers but I
moved it and now they're pink :-) I wonder if it's anything to do with
the drought :-p

I have a Bridge of Sighs climber which is growing up a dead tree trunk
in the front garden and yesterday I found a lilac/pink bloom on it and
all the rest are a strong apricot colour which is what they are
supposed to be. I can only guess it's something to do with the colour
of the roses that were crossed together to form the new rose (can't
think of term). I'm sure someone will put me right - please -
otherwise it will bug me all night :-)

Gail

Old 15-06-2006, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

tom&barbara writes

wrote:
Sacha wrote:
[...]

Was it grafted? You might have a sucker from the rootstock and that
would have the flowers of the rootstock - usually single pink wild rose
type.
--
Kay
Old 15-06-2006, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 15/6/06 16:34, in article
,
" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
We have a fairly mature Mme. Isaac Pereire rose on an arch in the nursery.
This year we have noticed that its colour and scent are much more subdued
than in all the previous years. Normally, this rose is an eye searingly
gorgeous pink and has a scent that knocks you flying.
Has anyone else experienced this with this rose or, indeed, any other?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(email address on website)

I have a climbing rose that I swear used to have red flowers but I
moved it and now they're pink :-) I wonder if it's anything to do with
the drought :-p

Could be that and could be different soil, perhaps? I think most gardeners
have experienced the old "I moved it three feet and it flourished (or died)"
syndrome.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk