Old 16-06-2006, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

Default Growing too close to struggling rose, should I pull or transplant wildflower plants?

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
nk.net...
I transplanted 6 Harison's Yellow roses in late May, and they are
struggling. They look pretty bad, but I'm feeding them and some of the
plants are sprouting new leaves. They suffered severe transplant
shock, were growing in full sun but the one that is doing the best is
the most shaded although smaller than most of them. I finally pruned
them back a little.

Anyway, until they get established, if they do, we scattered some
daisy and poppy and other seeds to fill in. Now one group of plants
which are past the seedling stage are clumped around one of the bushes
that is showing no new growth and I fear the competition with the
wildflowers may set it back more.

I can dig them up and put them in a bare spot but don't want to
disturb the roots of the rose bush. Maybe it is just better to pull
them out?

Never mind. I just dug them up and transplanted them, will lose some.
Then watered with miracle grow because I hadn't done that yet.