Old 16-06-2006, 01:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

Default Growing too close to struggling rose, should I pull or transplant wildflower plants?

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
nk.net...
I transplanted 6 Harison's Yellow roses in late May, and they are
struggling. They look pretty bad, but I'm feeding them and some of the
plants are sprouting new leaves. They suffered severe transplant shock,
were growing in full sun but the one that is doing the best is the most
shaded although smaller than most of them. I finally pruned them back a
little.

Anyway, until they get established, if they do, we scattered some daisy
and poppy and other seeds to fill in. Now one group of plants which are
past the seedling stage are clumped around one of the bushes that is
showing no new growth and I fear the competition with the wildflowers may
set it back more.

I can dig them up and put them in a bare spot but don't want to disturb
the roots of the rose bush. Maybe it is just better to pull them out?

Right. Pull them out.