Old 16-06-2006, 03:12 PM posted to aus.gardens
Terryc

Default Swarming Slaters eating plants - HELP

Jonno wrote:
Hold the (friendly? Fire) flame throwers.
Read this item and you wont be so quick to burn down the chook shed and
all those that inhabit the said establishment.
These littly grey nasty little critters may be useful.

http://www.ento.csiro.au/education/allies/isopoda.html

I have the slaters mentioned in the above article. They live in my
compost bin, I like them as they help break down the junk I put in there
and make it into compost.

The vegetable garden is 3'/1metre away and they never invade it.

You must have something else that is also called slaters.

OTOH, we average 10 "whitchity/white grubs" to the square foot and they
can be hell on seedlings. Unfortunately the cat only eats about 1 per
month.