Old 16-06-2006, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Lawn gone yellow under Birch tree - Advice Required

On 16/6/06 12:00, in article , "Zarch"
wrote:
snip

Sadly i dont think i'll be able to put something else where this is
occurring as its right in the middle of my lawn. Please see the
following picture to get an idea. As you can see, the tree isnt going
anywhere either! :-)

http://tinyurl.com/f4lst

I dont mind putting a bit of work in to cure the problem. So any
suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

I'd pave that whole area and put water into it somewhere, just burbling
through stones, perhaps. Then you could grow water and shade loving plants
among them, perhaps. Personally, it doesn't bother me if a lawn isn't
perfect because I think it's a natural hazard of gardening but I think
something of the paving sort is going to be your only real alternative. We
did something similar here with an area to one side of the main lawn. It's
very shaded and absolutely nothing grew there and looked like anything worth
having. So we covered the ground in Mypex, covered that in different size
pebbles, stuck a wooden bench among them and then put some big old tree
roots round and about. It looks quite effective and makes a nice shady area
for hot days.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk