Old 18-06-2006, 09:09 AM posted to rec.ponds
fire fly

Default green sediment

Thanks for your good advice Hal, but what a weird NG

"Köi-Lö" ¤1¤ôx@ôÜ1Ô.ôôô wrote in message
Who really gives a shit Hal, certainly no one in this or any other
usenet group does.

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 09:50:57 -0400, Hal wrote:

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 12:00:12 +0100, "fire fly"
wrote:

I have a 1000litre pond with uv filter and 2 fountains (one solar) the
pond
is overshadowed by two trees but does get direct sunlight for about 4
hours
a day. The water is relatively clear but the bottom of the pound, the
pipes
and even the weed are covered with green sediment. How can I get rid of
it?

Your description leads me to think it may be dead or dying green
algae, the kind that turns ponds green, as opposed to the kind that
grows on the sides and bottom of fish ponds. ( Just my guess, I can't
see the pond or weed very well from here.)

Do you have a mechanical filter or biofilter? Biofilters are
often clogged by this kind of algae and have to be cleaned more often
during that period of algae bloom.

If you have no filter, get a wet/dry shop vac and get the dead algae
off the bottom or it will decay and produce nutrients for another
algae bloom.

Regards,

Hal