Old 20-06-2006, 05:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

Default Does anyone know the name of an old rose popular in the 1940's and 1950's?

"Paulo da Costa" wrote in message
. com...
I Love Lucy wrote:

Ours was a rental house and it had been there since at least before
1943, very mature, was huge, on a large trellis, very tall and very
wide. I don't know a multiflora from a grandiflora, but it had
clusters
of small (maybe 1-inch?), double, medium pink to rose colored blooms,
for a long period during the summer. Don't remember a particular
fragrance and it wasn't much for cutting, but sure looked beautiful
when
it bloomed. It required no care that I remember.

Cecile Brunner?

Too light pink, wrong flower form. This one was more compact but not
like a zinnia, no whorls or quarters, don't remember the eye, must have
had one. I was only a kid then.

Cardinal de Richlieu is kind of close, but doesn't look quite the same.
It doesn't get that large (should have mentioned this to the other
poster).

I'll look through my rose book and some more net galleries tomorrow and
see what comes the closest; I was drawn to the Richlieu before.

This one withstood harsh winters to at least -10, sometimes more,
southern exposure, and didn't die back, actually once it got so large,
it might have stopped growing. I don't remember my father pruning it,
but it is possible.

Darn, not one photo of that rose even in b&w. I'll ask my younger
sister if she remembers anything about it. It didn't have the form like
so many of the old garden roses, and the petals were definitely short,
but the blossom was full but not packed full, not like a wild rose,
Betty Prior, etc.

Some pink climbers in my old rose book (1988), not Zéphirine Drouhin,
not Pompon de Paris, not Parade (kind of close, can't go by colors in a
book), closest I can find is a climber called Chaplin's Pink Climber but
doesn't look quite like it either, not close enough to make out the
intricate details. I like that Chaplin's Pink and can't find a good
photo of it yet. It was introduced in 1928 and won a gold medal from
the National Rose Society, blooms once a year in May.

http://members.aol.com/srbrubaker/roses/roses.htm

Thanks to the both of you.

Paulo