Old 20-06-2006, 11:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
Elaine

Default Does anyone know the name of an old rose popular in the 1940's and 1950's?

Old Blush?
(Synonoms: Common Monthly, China Monthly, Common blush China, Old Pink
Daily, Old Pink Monthly, Parson's Pink China). China (Old Garden Rose),
medium pink. Introduced in Sweden in 1752 and into England before 1759

Found this on World Federation of Rose Societies Old Rose page.
They have a contact email for questions, maybe they can put a name on it for
you if this isn't it.
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/web.php?lstgID=5431
Good luck,
Elaine
"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
nk.net...
Unfortunately I don't have a photo of it, but a couple other people are
asking on the web about what rose it could have been, too. Maybe it was
grown well before WWII; I don't know and don't remember anybody else
having one other than people now talkign about it trying to identify it.

Ours was a rental house and it had been there since at least before 1943,
very mature, was huge, on a large trellis, very tall and very wide. I
don't know a multiflora from a grandiflora, but it had clusters of small
(maybe 1-inch?), double, medium pink to rose colored blooms, for a long
period during the summer. Don't remember a particular fragrance and it
wasn't much for cutting, but sure looked beautiful when it bloomed. It
required no care that I remember.

I remember my mother talking about a Pinnochio rose, but I think that was
a shrub rose, and the only other named rose we had was a Peace rose when
they became all the rage and some miniature ones.