Old 20-06-2006, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Default Stag beetle grub or white grub?

"kenty" wrote
I have recently found two large grubs in my soil.They have light brown
heads and pincers.eight legs two of which are smaller than the
others.They also have light brown dots running down either side .They
are about 1 1/2" long.I have never seen them before.I have done a
google search and cannot decide what it is.Do away with them or let
them get on with it.

Could be a cockchafer larva, they're quite common:
http://www.uksafari.com/cockchafer2.htm
I'd say if in doubt, and they're not doing any terrible damage to
anything precious, leave them be, since if they are Stag beetles you're
lucky - they're getting rare.

Have you tried the Google image search? Using 'stag beetle larva' or
'cockchafer larva' as search terms finds lots of different pictures for
comparison.

--
Sue