Old 19-06-2006, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
kenty;\)

Default Stag beetle grub or white grub?

I have recently found two large grubs in my soil.They have light brown heads
and pincers.eight legs two of which are smaller than the others.They also
have light brown dots running down either side .They are about 1 1/2" long.I
have never seen them before.I have done a google search and cannot decide
what it is.Do away with them or let them get on with it.
Cheers Keith
Nottingham

Old 19-06-2006, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Saxman

kenty wrote:

I have recently found two large grubs in my soil.They have light
brown heads and pincers.eight legs two of which are smaller than the
others.They also have light brown dots running down either side .They
are about 1 1/2" long.I have never seen them before.I have done a
google search and cannot decide what it is.Do away with them or let
them get on with it.

Stag beetles are an endangered species.

Have a look here. These images resemble your description.

http://www.arkive.org/species/ARK/in...l_and_freshwat
er/Lucanus_cervus/more_still_images.html

Why not ask uk.rec.natural-history? I'm sure they will help.

Old 20-06-2006, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"kenty" wrote
I have recently found two large grubs in my soil.They have light brown
heads and pincers.eight legs two of which are smaller than the
others.They also have light brown dots running down either side .They
are about 1 1/2" long.I have never seen them before.I have done a
google search and cannot decide what it is.Do away with them or let
them get on with it.

Could be a cockchafer larva, they're quite common:
http://www.uksafari.com/cockchafer2.htm
I'd say if in doubt, and they're not doing any terrible damage to
anything precious, leave them be, since if they are Stag beetles you're
lucky - they're getting rare.

Have you tried the Google image search? Using 'stag beetle larva' or
'cockchafer larva' as search terms finds lots of different pictures for
comparison.

--
Sue

Old 20-06-2006, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Saxman

kenty wrote:

I have recently found two large grubs in my soil.They have light
brown heads and pincers.eight legs two of which are smaller than the
others.They also have light brown dots running down either side .They
are about 1 1/2" long.I have never seen them before.I have done a
google search and cannot decide what it is.Do away with them or let
them get on with it. Cheers Keith Nottingham

They are almost certainly stag beetle grubs. The brown dots are air
holes. They should be replaced back where you found them or near to
some rotting wood.