Old 20-06-2006, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
newsreader

Default Black Walnut trees removal & disposal

After living with quite a number of large B.W. trees in my 1 1/2 year
old new home, I have decided several need to be removed. They are just
too darn messy, and I'm having some trouble with plants within their
driplines.

Since all are fully leafed out now, and already dropping nuts, I
envision a pretty huge pile of grindings when the tree guys come.

If I decide to leave all these grindings on my property somewhere, to
compost into future usable soil enrichment, will these composted
grindings be toxic to other plantS, or are the walnut toxins only
produced while the trees are alive?

Also, I will have a bunch of logs, some maybe over 2' diameter. Would
these be of any value other than making several winter's worth of firewood?

David in MD