Old 20-06-2006, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default What Trees

In article ,
"fredhead" writes:

| I will be planting about 20 trees on my land in France and want to be able
| to use some of them over the coming years as firewood for my wood burning
| stoves.
| What are the best types of wood for this purpose, I know that the wood will
| need to be seasoned before use.

Well, it might not need to be. Ash and some others burn well wet.

| What are the quickest growing trees, do willows meet my need?

It will depend on the soil, aspect and so on. You would do well to coppice
them for such a use. Ash is one of the best, but chestnut, oak and many
others are excellent, too.

Willows and poplars are a disaster, as they don't burn when wet, and
burn far too fast when dry. They might be OK in a stove, but why not
plant something better?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.