Old 21-06-2006, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

Default Does anyone know the name of an old rose popular in the 1940's and 1950's?

"Elaine" wrote in message
. ..
Picture brings back memories...nice family photo. I was born in '49.
Can't make out the rose. I remember my Mom had a light pink rambler
that she tried desperately to kill even with gas and burning. Poor
thing always came back and is at the old homeplace to this day along
with the wisteria that covers every thing in its path!
Good luck in your quest.

The world rose people wrote right back and referred me to the CR people
at www.ars.org which has a list of consultants for each geographical
area. I sent them a lengthy email, wish I could have been more
succinct, but I also asked them about three other old roses I'm trying
to grow, had some nice photo links for those. One we think is the
Harison's yellow and the other might be a Charles de Mills. I was
discouraged about my cuttings looking bad, but I read on their cutting
instructions page that so long as the stem is still green, the plant
still has life so not to give up too quickly.

I shrink at the thought of killing a rose but don't know the
circumstances. I have one particular red one that has grown from root
suckers when the hybrid Queen Elizabeth died off and was going to dig it
out because the canes are shooting everywhere. So many people have
commented on how pretty it is (that particular one is a huge rambler)
that I am going to try to get it trained on a trellis which will be a
problem coordinating because the house needs painting.

Always something. It will probably take them awhile to sort through my
roses. One is so pretty somebody on a rose forum suggested a grower
might be interested in it.

http://www.white-peacock.com/OldRose2.jpg

Also trying to root this one. None of the cuttings looks good, but the
above one is going a little better; I was able to get longer stems from
that one.

http://www.white-peacock.com/MysteryRose.jpg

The scent of the second one is heavenly.

You've all been great about my rose id problem, and I heartily thank you
all.

Even WITH a photo, it is sometimes difficult. That first one bloomed
completely differently this year I guess because of too mild temps too
early affecting the blossoms. I guess roses do that. Before I got so
interested and infatuated with these heirloom roses (and my childhood
one), my idea of growing roses was to go to the nursery and buy an
expensive, potted hybrid one, dig a hole and mix with don't remember,
water, prune, etc.

From now on I only want to grow own root roses.

Here is what I hope my struggling, scrubby little Harison? Yellow (that
is the closest we can find on that one) transplants from suckers will
turn into one day, although I'm going to try to prune them to make them
a little bushier if I can without ruining them. Most of the ones on the
property where the donor gave them to me are on tall woody, extremely
thorny stems, extremely hardy. This picture doesn't reflect that so
much, but that's the way most of them are.

http://www.white-peacock.com/Helen2.jpg