Old 21-06-2006, 06:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default Little green pepper pests

In article ,
cloud dreamer wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
In article ,
cloud dreamer wrote:

This is my first year growing peppers and I've just found little green
bugs under the leaves. They're the same green as the leaf and probably
no more than a few millimetres in size. Any idea what they are and how
to control them? Not sure they'd come out very well in a photo.

Thanks!

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.

Aphids most likely?
Are they teardrop shaped?

Order a quart of ladybird beetles (ladybugs)

Or use a tobacco tea spray. Soak cigarettes in water, put in a sprayer
bottle.

Yes, they do appear to be teardrop shaped.

I've seen suggestions for a chili soap spray for aphids. Would that work
as well?

(I'm not a smoker

I've never used chili spray.

I'm not a smoker either and neither was mom, but she sprang for a pack
of ciggies to make the tea.

It worked. ;-)

Garlic emulsion spray is supposed to work for a lot of pests but it's
more a repellant than a pesticide. Tobacco tea will kill them.

Personally, I'd go for the ladybugs if you can wait for a shipment.
Check google for sources. They are a renewable pest control. The larvae
would be even better if you can get them...
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson