Old 21-06-2006, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer

Default Little green pepper pests

This is my first year growing peppers and I've just found little green
bugs under the leaves. They're the same green as the leaf and probably
no more than a few millimetres in size. Any idea what they are and how
to control them? Not sure they'd come out very well in a photo.

Thanks!

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.
Old 21-06-2006, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
cloud dreamer wrote:

This is my first year growing peppers and I've just found little green
bugs under the leaves. They're the same green as the leaf and probably
no more than a few millimetres in size. Any idea what they are and how
to control them? Not sure they'd come out very well in a photo.

Thanks!

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.

Aphids most likely?
Are they teardrop shaped?

Order a quart of ladybird beetles (ladybugs)

Or use a tobacco tea spray. Soak cigarettes in water, put in a sprayer
bottle.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 21-06-2006, 05:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
In article ,
cloud dreamer wrote:

This is my first year growing peppers and I've just found little green
bugs under the leaves. They're the same green as the leaf and probably
no more than a few millimetres in size. Any idea what they are and how
to control them? Not sure they'd come out very well in a photo.

Thanks!

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.

Aphids most likely?
Are they teardrop shaped?

Order a quart of ladybird beetles (ladybugs)

Or use a tobacco tea spray. Soak cigarettes in water, put in a sprayer
bottle.

Yes, they do appear to be teardrop shaped.

I've seen suggestions for a chili soap spray for aphids. Would that work
as well?

(I'm not a smoker

..

Zone 5a in Canada's aphid infested Far East!
Old 21-06-2006, 06:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
cloud dreamer wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
In article ,
cloud dreamer wrote:

This is my first year growing peppers and I've just found little green
bugs under the leaves. They're the same green as the leaf and probably
no more than a few millimetres in size. Any idea what they are and how
to control them? Not sure they'd come out very well in a photo.

Thanks!

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.

Aphids most likely?
Are they teardrop shaped?

Order a quart of ladybird beetles (ladybugs)

Or use a tobacco tea spray. Soak cigarettes in water, put in a sprayer
bottle.

Yes, they do appear to be teardrop shaped.

I've seen suggestions for a chili soap spray for aphids. Would that work
as well?

(I'm not a smoker

I've never used chili spray.

I'm not a smoker either and neither was mom, but she sprang for a pack
of ciggies to make the tea.

It worked. ;-)

Garlic emulsion spray is supposed to work for a lot of pests but it's
more a repellant than a pesticide. Tobacco tea will kill them.

Personally, I'd go for the ladybugs if you can wait for a shipment.
Check google for sources. They are a renewable pest control. The larvae
would be even better if you can get them...
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 21-06-2006, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
cloud dreamer wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
In article ,
cloud dreamer wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

In article ,
cloud dreamer wrote:

[...]

I've given them a spray of the chili soap water and it definitely knocks
thems off the leaves. It's only three plants so it's not hard to keep up
with them. If there were more, I'd spring for the ladybugs. (There
aren't many here...I'd be lucky to see a single ladybug in a
season...probably too windy for them).

I'll harass my sister tomorrow for a few smokes and apply that if they
return. So far, I haven't seen them on anything else. They're in a
greenhouse with a couple of tomato plants and they're fine...so far.

Thanks.

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Aphid-free Far East.

Most welcome. :-)
Best of luck!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Old 22-06-2006, 03:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek

Be sure you keep that tobacco spray well away from your tomatoes. It could
wipe out your entire planting.
Steve
"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
In article ,