Old 22-06-2006, 12:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Groundcover vs Lawn advice

Hi,

I live in Westchester County New York and I think I am Zone 6 or 5
-ish. I have a lawn, well more like a weed-lawn, on sloping land. I
battle 4 hours each weekend mowing and triming it up and yes the weeds
are winning.... Some of the area is in full sun, and some in shade.

I have seen some postings suggesting that ground covers would be a good
subsitute. I was thinking of reducing some of the lawn area and
planting something else. I am looking for something which will (1) hold
the soil to stop errosion, (2) keep the weeds down, (3) low maintenance
and (4) no pesticide / herbicite approach, I am surrounded by tress and
am anxious that I do not poison these via run off and wind dispersion
of chemicals.

Can someone suggest what plants I should try and use? Right now I am
trying desperately to patch bits of the lawn with Rebel Tall Fescue
grass seed (Home Depot). This works well, but I can only do about 80 Sq
feet of the garden per weekend ... and like there is about 3/4 of an
acre .... hence I am loosing ther battle. I usually fork over the area
and turn the soil over. Place 8-12 bags of top soil on it. Reseed with
Rebel Grass, fertilize with Scotts starter, cover with peat. And
finally place some sack cloth on top. Then water with a sprinkler. This
is time consuming hence I can only do a little bit each weekend. The
results look good though....

Thank you for your kind attention. Warmes regards, Mike.