Old 22-06-2006, 12:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Groundcover vs Lawn advice

Hi,

I live in Westchester County New York and I think I am Zone 6 or 5
-ish. I have a lawn, well more like a weed-lawn, on sloping land. I
battle 4 hours each weekend mowing and triming it up and yes the weeds
are winning.... Some of the area is in full sun, and some in shade.

I have seen some postings suggesting that ground covers would be a good
subsitute. I was thinking of reducing some of the lawn area and
planting something else. I am looking for something which will (1) hold
the soil to stop errosion, (2) keep the weeds down, (3) low maintenance
and (4) no pesticide / herbicite approach, I am surrounded by tress and
am anxious that I do not poison these via run off and wind dispersion
of chemicals.

Can someone suggest what plants I should try and use? Right now I am
trying desperately to patch bits of the lawn with Rebel Tall Fescue
grass seed (Home Depot). This works well, but I can only do about 80 Sq
feet of the garden per weekend ... and like there is about 3/4 of an
acre .... hence I am loosing ther battle. I usually fork over the area
and turn the soil over. Place 8-12 bags of top soil on it. Reseed with
Rebel Grass, fertilize with Scotts starter, cover with peat. And
finally place some sack cloth on top. Then water with a sprinkler. This
is time consuming hence I can only do a little bit each weekend. The
results look good though....

Thank you for your kind attention. Warmes regards, Mike.

Old 22-06-2006, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
[...]

I have replaced all my regular grass with white clover. It has been
excellent. No weeds, resists drought and produces its own nitrogen (no
fertilizer required) and is resistent to insects and pretty well grows
anywhere.

Old 22-06-2006, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Merle O'Broham

wrote:
[...]

I'd cover it with ivy and plant a small mass of day lillies (maybe
Stella D'Oro) in the sunniest patch and a few hostas in the shade. No
worries.

Old 22-06-2006, 10:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

wrote:
[...]

not sure about the zones - but consider lamium, ajuga, and maybe liriope

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 23-06-2006, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
www.StockSeed.com

You might consider using Buffalograss. (
http://www.stockseed.com/buffalograsses_default.asp ).

Low water use, almost no mowing... very eco-friendly. After
establishment, weed control is very easy. Likes full sun.