Old 22-06-2006, 02:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

Default Does anyone know the name of an old rose popular in the 1940's and 1950's?

"Elaine" wrote in message
.. .
I admire roses and the people that have that "special" talent it takes
to produce those wonderful blooms.
I have a few climbers and have just acquired a couple of the Gordon
Thomas I hope to train over an arbor.
I have always loved roses just never had the time it took until this
past year so I am now rekindling my love since
retirement. The yellow Harrison rose picture is beautiful..
The ars.org consultants should be able to help you. I just contacted
the one in my area (Ga.) for advice and she was very
helpful with suggestions on which types and planting this late in the
season. We are already in the 90's and very humid, lots of blackspot
to deal with. Last summer I took a cutting of the wild pink one that
grows down here. This year it is sending out some huge canes and not a
sign of the blackspot. That's what I like about the old fashion ones,
very tough and disease resistant and hard to kill. :0

You've got that exactly right, that's why I decided it's own root from
now on so I don't have to mess at least as much with fungicides and
powders. I never took the time to learn by doing (just reading and then
you forget if you don't actually get your hands dirty except for potted
ones). I didn't even know how to prune them correctly, do a little
better now, but a pro would roll his/her eyes :-). If the ars people
are able to help, I'm sure they will. Sometimes you just don't know for
sure, without a photo almost impossible and difficult even with one.

I will look up that Gordon Thomas when I have time. I'm in zone 5 and
it might not be hardy enough for here. I have two kit arbors sitting in
boxes in my sunroom and my patience is being sorely tried because before
they can be installed, a lot of prep work has to be done . . .and there
is one delay after another . . .can't do all of it myself or I would.

Good luck with your roses. You've been a great help to steer me to the
right people.

Elaine
"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Elaine" wrote in message
. ..
Picture brings back memories...nice family photo. I was born in '49.
Can't make out the rose. I remember my Mom had a light pink rambler
that she tried desperately to kill even with gas and burning. Poor
thing always came back and is at the old homeplace to this day along
with the wisteria that covers every thing in its path!
Good luck in your quest.

The world rose people wrote right back and referred me to the CR
people at www.ars.org which has a list of consultants for each
geographical area. I sent them a lengthy email, wish I could have
been more succinct, but I also asked them about three other old roses
I'm trying to grow, had some nice photo links for those. One we
think is the Harison's yellow and the other might be a Charles de
Mills. I was discouraged about my cuttings looking bad, but I read
on their cutting instructions page that so long as the stem is still
green, the plant still has life so not to give up too quickly.

I shrink at the thought of killing a rose but don't know the
circumstances. I have one particular red one that has grown from
root suckers when the hybrid Queen Elizabeth died off and was going
to dig it out because the canes are shooting everywhere. So many
people have commented on how pretty it is (that particular one is a
huge rambler) that I am going to try to get it trained on a trellis
which will be a problem coordinating because the house needs
painting.

Always something. It will probably take them awhile to sort through
my roses. One is so pretty somebody on a rose forum suggested a
grower might be interested in it.

http://www.white-peacock.com/OldRose2.jpg

Also trying to root this one. None of the cuttings looks good, but
the above one is going a little better; I was able to get longer
stems from that one.

http://www.white-peacock.com/MysteryRose.jpg

The scent of the second one is heavenly.

You've all been great about my rose id problem, and I heartily thank
you all.

Even WITH a photo, it is sometimes difficult. That first one bloomed
completely differently this year I guess because of too mild temps
too early affecting the blossoms. I guess roses do that. Before I
got so interested and infatuated with these heirloom roses (and my
childhood one), my idea of growing roses was to go to the nursery and
buy an expensive, potted hybrid one, dig a hole and mix with don't
remember, water, prune, etc.

From now on I only want to grow own root roses.

Here is what I hope my struggling, scrubby little Harison? Yellow
(that is the closest we can find on that one) transplants from
suckers will turn into one day, although I'm going to try to prune
them to make them a little bushier if I can without ruining them.
Most of the ones on the property where the donor gave them to me are
on tall woody, extremely thorny stems, extremely hardy. This picture
doesn't reflect that so much, but that's the way most of them are.

http://www.white-peacock.com/Helen2.jpg