Old 23-06-2006, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DavePoole Torquay

Default Plant ID please

cpemma wrote:
http://www.cpemma.co.uk/flower1.html

TIA. Growing in South Yorkshire, hardy perennial?

As to its hardiness there's some variation, but you have Freesia laxa -
formerly known as Lapeyrousia or Anamatheca cruenta. If it grows well
with you, it will continue to do so and if you are lucky, it will seed
itself about. Seedlings flower in their first year so there's every
chance of buidling up a fair old colony in just a few years. I have a
large flowered, very bright red form sometimes called 'grandiflora' and
it is almost everywhere. I don't mind - it is very attractive and
dense clumps put on a very good show. There are pink and lilac mauve
variations as well, but I find these less appealing. You'll find it is
happiest in full sun and settles best in sharply drained soil.