Old 23-06-2006, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cpemma

Default Plant ID please

http://www.cpemma.co.uk/flower1.html

TIA. Growing in South Yorkshire, hardy perennial?

Old 23-06-2006, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

cpemma wrote:
http://www.cpemma.co.uk/flower1.html

TIA. Growing in South Yorkshire, hardy perennial?

It looks like some sort of a crocosmia or montbretia (whichever is the
official name, these days). If that is the case, it is a bulb which
flowers each year - lavish no tender loving care on it at all, and it
will spread into a nice big clump.

Cat(h)

Old 23-06-2006, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DavePoole Torquay

cpemma wrote:
http://www.cpemma.co.uk/flower1.html

TIA. Growing in South Yorkshire, hardy perennial?

As to its hardiness there's some variation, but you have Freesia laxa -
formerly known as Lapeyrousia or Anamatheca cruenta. If it grows well
with you, it will continue to do so and if you are lucky, it will seed
itself about. Seedlings flower in their first year so there's every
chance of buidling up a fair old colony in just a few years. I have a
large flowered, very bright red form sometimes called 'grandiflora' and
it is almost everywhere. I don't mind - it is very attractive and
dense clumps put on a very good show. There are pink and lilac mauve
variations as well, but I find these less appealing. You'll find it is
happiest in full sun and settles best in sharply drained soil.

Old 23-06-2006, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

DavePoole Torquay wrote:
cpemma wrote:
http://www.cpemma.co.uk/flower1.html

TIA. Growing in South Yorkshire, hardy perennial?

As to its hardiness there's some variation, but you have Freesia laxa -
formerly known as Lapeyrousia or Anamatheca cruenta. If it grows well
with you, it will continue to do so and if you are lucky, it will seed
itself about. Seedlings flower in their first year so there's every
chance of buidling up a fair old colony in just a few years. I have a
large flowered, very bright red form sometimes called 'grandiflora' and
it is almost everywhere. I don't mind - it is very attractive and
dense clumps put on a very good show. There are pink and lilac mauve
variations as well, but I find these less appealing. You'll find it is
happiest in full sun and settles best in sharply drained soil.

Is that in any way related to crocosmia/montbretia, or am I just
talking through my hat?
(and I would not exclude that possibility).

Cat(h)

Old 23-06-2006, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cpemma

Cat(h) wrote:
DavePoole Torquay wrote:
cpemma wrote:
http://www.cpemma.co.uk/flower1.html

TIA. Growing in South Yorkshire, hardy perennial?

As to its hardiness there's some variation, but you have Freesia
laxa - formerly known as Lapeyrousia or Anamatheca cruenta.

Is that in any way related to crocosmia/montbretia, or am I just
talking through my hat?
(and I would not exclude that possibility).

Cat(h)

They're all Iridaceae.

Certainly looks like the Anomatheca luxa, aka all the other names, in our
RHS A-Z. Must owe it's survival to being in a sheltered sunspot next to the
house wall, and two mild winters. And it's certainly in well-drained soil.

Thanks for the ID.

Old 26-06-2006, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

cpemma wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
DavePoole Torquay wrote:
cpemma wrote:
http://www.cpemma.co.uk/flower1.html

TIA. Growing in South Yorkshire, hardy perennial?

As to its hardiness there's some variation, but you have Freesia
laxa - formerly known as Lapeyrousia or Anamatheca cruenta.

Is that in any way related to crocosmia/montbretia, or am I just
talking through my hat?
(and I would not exclude that possibility).

Cat(h)

They're all Iridaceae.

Certainly looks like the Anomatheca luxa, aka all the other names, in our
RHS A-Z. Must owe it's survival to being in a sheltered sunspot next to the
house wall, and two mild winters. And it's certainly in well-drained soil.

Thanks for the ID.

And thank you for salvaging one tenth of a figleaf of garden-cred for
me ;-)

Cat(h)