Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Emrys Davies

Default 1st season tree watering

'Ian',

I totally agree with your suggestion provided that the soil containing
the roots of your trees is not dried out. Keep it moist.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"Ian Cundell" wrote in message
I planted two container grow silver birches (a multi-stem, 15 ft or so

Pendula and a 6ft or so Snow Queen) last September.

Both a currently dormant (as are all the many many birches in the

area,
St Albans) but I assume they will start moving in the not too distant
future.

I note that it seems to have been dry in the first quarter of the

year.
My garden is less of a bog than it usually is around now. The soil is
stoney clay glacial outwash. We are getting mild nightly frosts at the
moment.

I read words to the effect of 'water thoroughly once a week in the

first
growing season' in various sources.

So:

1) How much is thoroughly (in minutes with the hosepipe, per week)

2) When do I start doing this?

3) Oh, And when do I hit them with bonemeal?

I'm wary of drowning them because I have no real idea how wet the soil
down below is. But, obviously, I don't want to dessicate 'em!

--
Cut IT out to reply by email