Old 24-06-2006, 12:36 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon

Default lemons

"Sandra Bodycoat" wrote in message
Hi

I have noticed that my parents lemons are now growing with exceptionally
thick skins, they are well maintained, anyone know why this occurs?
Thanks
Sandra

Hi Sandra,

The Eureka variety does that. Somewhere years ago I had it explained to me
that lemons originate from China. Somewhere and somehow the eureka strain
came forth with a thick waxy skin. The variety grew naturally next to rivers
and streams (runnels, brooks, creeks and you know things like that).
Apparently when ripe they would drop into the water and head down stream.
Then a small percentage of these would germinate so increase the population.

As riverbanks are naturallly fertile situations the lemons would have all
the vigour they needed and would be more waxy skinned and thicker than those
away from streams. Also they'd be more bouyant in water hence not sink in a
hurry.

So I guess your parents are giving the the best conditions.

Cheers

Richard