Old 24-06-2006, 11:40 AM posted to aus.gardens
Sandra Bodycoat

Default lemons

Hi

I have noticed that my parents lemons are now growing with exceptionally
thick skins, they are well maintained, anyone know why this occurs?
Thanks
Sandra

Old 24-06-2006, 12:36 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon

"Sandra Bodycoat" wrote in message
Hi

I have noticed that my parents lemons are now growing with exceptionally
thick skins, they are well maintained, anyone know why this occurs?
Thanks
Sandra

Hi Sandra,

The Eureka variety does that. Somewhere years ago I had it explained to me
that lemons originate from China. Somewhere and somehow the eureka strain
came forth with a thick waxy skin. The variety grew naturally next to rivers
and streams (runnels, brooks, creeks and you know things like that).
Apparently when ripe they would drop into the water and head down stream.
Then a small percentage of these would germinate so increase the population.

As riverbanks are naturallly fertile situations the lemons would have all
the vigour they needed and would be more waxy skinned and thicker than those
away from streams. Also they'd be more bouyant in water hence not sink in a
hurry.

So I guess your parents are giving the the best conditions.

Cheers

Richard

Old 26-06-2006, 02:44 AM posted to aus.gardens
Dwayne

Where I once lived, I had an orange and a grapefruit tree. My neighbor told
me to water them a lot. I did and when whey were ripe they all had very
thick skins. I just peeled them and ignored the thick skin. They were
great.

Dwayne

Old 26-06-2006, 05:13 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra Bodycoat
Hi

I have noticed that my parents lemons are now growing with exceptionally
thick skins, they are well maintained, anyone know why this occurs?
Thanks
Sandra
Dear Sandra,
When lemons are picked you let them sit for a week or so and the skins become thin and the lemons very juicy
Adrianna
Old 26-06-2006, 12:21 PM posted to aus.gardens
Sandra Bodycoat

This lemon tree used to have lemons with a lot thinner skins but it has just
come about in the past 12 months.
cheers

--
Adrianna

Old 01-07-2006, 06:38 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage

"Sandra Bodycoat" writes:
This lemon tree used to have lemons with a lot thinner skins but it has just
come about in the past 12 months.

I know of that problem, but just can't think of the cause. Are there
woody patches on the skins? Do the lemons contain very little juice?
Is every lemon suffering the same condition?

"Adrianna" wrote in message

Sandra Bodycoat Wrote:
Hi

I have noticed that my parents lemons are now growing with
exceptionally
thick skins, they are well maintained, anyone know why this occurs?
Thanks
Sandra

Dear Sandra,
When lemons are picked you let them sit for a week or so and the skins
become thin and the lemons very juicy
Adrianna

Excellent advice. They really do seem to become juicier.

Old 01-07-2006, 10:13 AM posted to aus.gardens
Sandra Bodycoat

Hi
My answer to all those points would be yes, especially the reduced amount of
juice, its such a waste of a lemon tree.
cheers

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...

Old 03-07-2006, 06:40 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage

"Sandra Bodycoat" writes:
My answer to all those points would be yes, especially the reduced amount of
juice, its such a waste of a lemon tree.

Maybe it's the dry conditions. In any case I'd try and get the crop
off as quickly as possible and feed and water the tree and hope that
the next crop is back to normal. Citrus needs lots of water and heavy
mulching out to the drip line to stop the soil drying out.

Old 04-07-2006, 12:25 PM posted to aus.gardens
Bigbazza

"Sandra Bodycoat" wrote in message
Hi

I have noticed that my parents lemons are now growing with exceptionally
thick skins, they are well maintained, anyone know why this occurs?
Thanks
Sandra

The problem is that they are not getting enough water !....
--
Bigbazza (Barry)..Oz