Old 25-06-2006, 01:57 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mike Robinson

Default I want a golf course lawn

"Shane" wrote in message
k.net...
I recently bought a house in Central Missouri. My lawn was horrible.

There
were humps, holes, bare spots, etc. I've been using Ortho Weed B Gone, to
get rid of all the leafy stuff. I've pretty much got the weeds under
control, now I'm working on the moles.

My question is this: I have what seems to me as several kinds of grass in
my yard. What I DON'T know about grass could fill a thick book. How many
kinds of grass are there? What do I have to do to get an even looking

yard?
How many types of trees are there? Same answer basically

I want it all the same shade of green and nice a thick. I wanna walk
barefoot and feel like it's carpet. I can't imagine I need to till
everything up and replant grass. Or do I? Do I need to fertilize or

what?
If you want a golf course lawn you need to start with the soil underneith.
Its a sandy soil under most greens I believe with a specific type of grass
seed mowed with a power REEL mower worth more than most small cars. Want a
decent lawn that looks great and feels good without spending a load of
money? My suggestion is this:
Top dress the lawn, over seed the lawn, roll the lawn multiple times,
fertilize the lawn (use a local company who is recomended by somone NOT a
national chain, and not a guy outta the paper). This will create a great
looking yard. Also buy good grass seed, weed free.