Old 25-06-2006, 03:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Shane

Default I want a golf course lawn

OK, well forget the "golf course" comment. I just want a nice even looking
yard, without having to start from scratch.

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..

"Shane" wrote in message
k.net...
I recently bought a house in Central Missouri. My lawn was horrible.
There were humps, holes, bare spots, etc. I've been using Ortho Weed B
Gone, to get rid of all the leafy stuff. I've pretty much got the weeds
under control, now I'm working on the moles.

My question is this: I have what seems to me as several kinds of grass
in my yard. What I DON'T know about grass could fill a thick book. How
many kinds of grass are there? What do I have to do to get an even
looking yard? I want it all the same shade of green and nice a thick. I
wanna walk barefoot and feel like it's carpet. I can't imagine I need to
till everything up and replant grass. Or do I? Do I need to fertilize
or what?

Advice?

How big is the yard? If it is small, you might consider sodding with
Bermuda, which will give you the lawn you desire (assuming you have enough
direct sunlight).

If it is large, there are several attractive bermudas that can be seeded,
but they are not a fine leafed as the sodded varieties.

In either case, you'll need to kill off all of the existing grass to ever
bring the yard to golf course-like perfection with only one species of
grass.