Old 25-06-2006, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Elbrecht

Default broccoli...

On 24 Jun 2006 22:40:05 -0700, "higgledy" wrote:

The first weekend in April, I planted 6 broccoli plants. They took off
like a rocket, without any fertilizer too. Anyway, they seem ready to
harvest, I thought broccoli was a fall crop. Is it to soon to harvest
broccoli?

Cut tops when they are ready. The plant will send out more shoots &
make many smaller heads. I like the second [and third, and fourth,
and . . .] heads better than the first crop.

If you're in zone 5-6ish, you could plant some seeds now & you might
get a fall crop. [planting the 1st of April, sounds like you might
be too far south to plant more just yet. Check seed packet for 'Days
to harvest'; subtract from average first frost; plant away. Broccoli
doesn't mind some frost.]

Jim