Old 25-06-2006, 06:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
higgledy

Default broccoli...

The first weekend in April, I planted 6 broccoli plants. They took off
like a rocket, without any fertilizer too. Anyway, they seem ready to
harvest, I thought broccoli was a fall crop. Is it to soon to harvest
broccoli?

Old 25-06-2006, 11:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
shazzbat

"higgledy" wrote in message
oups.com...
The first weekend in April, I planted 6 broccoli plants. They took off
like a rocket, without any fertilizer too. Anyway, they seem ready to
harvest, I thought broccoli was a fall crop. Is it to soon to harvest
broccoli?

If it's ready, it's ready. When the heads are a decent size and before the
flowers open, go for it. It will make more.

Steve

Old 25-06-2006, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Elbrecht

On 24 Jun 2006 22:40:05 -0700, "higgledy" wrote:

The first weekend in April, I planted 6 broccoli plants. They took off
like a rocket, without any fertilizer too. Anyway, they seem ready to
harvest, I thought broccoli was a fall crop. Is it to soon to harvest
broccoli?

Cut tops when they are ready. The plant will send out more shoots &
make many smaller heads. I like the second [and third, and fourth,
and . . .] heads better than the first crop.

If you're in zone 5-6ish, you could plant some seeds now & you might
get a fall crop. [planting the 1st of April, sounds like you might
be too far south to plant more just yet. Check seed packet for 'Days
to harvest'; subtract from average first frost; plant away. Broccoli
doesn't mind some frost.]

Jim
Old 26-06-2006, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
V_coerulea

Here in z8 we plant broccoli about once a month starting in Sept and
finishing in Feb. That way we have good heads and side shoots from
Thanksgiving to Easter (and as long after as the weather cooperates). By May
the weather becomes too hot and the plants and flavor suffer. As long as the
low temps stay above 20F and highs stay below 80F for any prolonged periods,
broccoli is a good crop here in S South Carolina.
Gary

oups.com...

Broccoli Luke Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Harvesting broccoli seeds. Gregory Toomey Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:32 AM
Broccoli and romaine lettuce: good container plants??? Mick709 Gardening 1 24-03-2003 12:20 PM
purple sprouting broccoli A.Malhotra United Kingdom 3 16-03-2003 05:56 PM
Broccoli flowers Chris Edible Gardening 1 16-02-2003 02:51 AM