Old 25-06-2006, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Treedweller

Default Tree dead at top, but growing at bottom

On 24 Jun 2006 16:45:03 -0700, wrote:

I live in Southwest LV

I planted the pepper tree late last fall,
without a water system (that's why I got in trouble)
but now I have a Drip system installed.

I wanted to keep the tree, because it's alive,
and I'm really not concerned about looks
(it's in the back-yard)

I thought there might be something "standard"
done in this situation -- short of replacing it.
But, maybe I'll experiment, by cutting
some of the dead/top off until it look reasonable.

thanks
waterboy

You can just cut it above the highest green shoots and see what
happens. It sounds like this will result in a lopped-off trunk, which
is not a good things for most trees. The new sprouts are probably not
attached as well as the original branch structure. If there is any
property or human activity under the tree, I would remove it now
before it can get big and heavy. If it is in the open lawn, I'd say
give saving it a try, if you are so inclined. Just don't expect too
much for your efforts. Consider planting a replacement this fall to
hedge your bets.

Keith Babberney
IS Certified Arborist #TX-0236AT