Old 23-06-2006, 01:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tree dead at top, but growing at bottom

Hi,

A few spring days of 100 degrees
here in Las Vegas caught me off guard,
and has killed the top of my Pepper tree

but it's now sprouting green all around the base

Where should i cut the trunk off at...if at all?
It's a newly planted tree, only about a 1.5" in diameter,
and stands about 10 feet tall.

thanks
waterboy

Old 24-06-2006, 09:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
John A. Keslick, Jr.

waterboy

This is a good question. I would recommend reviewing this book:
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/TPRUNING.html
If you library does not have it, ask them to order it.

Also, it sounds like you would be better starting with a healthy tree.
For correct planting and care instructions I STRONGLY "SUGGEST" this book.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/MARBOR.html

here are some web sites that may also help you.

1. Techno Tree Biology Dictionary
http://www.treedictionary.com . Look up "logging".

2. Articles written by DR. ALEX L. SHIGO, one of the foremost authorities
worldwide on tree systems today online at
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/index.html

3. Literature Available by Dr. Shigo is he
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/treeinfo.html

4. Hard to get Documents
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...get/index.html

If you have any suggestions please let me know. 610-864-5251

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Tree Biologist
http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
that we are not the boss.

oups.com...

Old 24-06-2006, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

Where in Vegas do you live? If I were you, I'd replace the tree. If you
want, you can let it grow up from the base/roots - let the healthiest
shoot(s) grow and see what it does. Probably won't look as good is it would
have otherwise.

Did you keep the tree well watered? By now it's been 100+ for a while in
Vegas. Your tree has been in trouble for a long time, you just didn't know
it. I lived near Nellis for a while, and in Henderson for several years.
I"ve lost several trees, and by the time I realized the tree was in trouble,
it was too late. Young trees (and mature trees) need regular deep watering
during spring, summer and fall in Vegas, and some water in winter does not
hurt.

Old 25-06-2006, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

I live in Southwest LV

I planted the pepper tree late last fall,
without a water system (that's why I got in trouble)
but now I have a Drip system installed.

I wanted to keep the tree, because it's alive,
and I'm really not concerned about looks
(it's in the back-yard)

I thought there might be something "standard"
done in this situation -- short of replacing it.
But, maybe I'll experiment, by cutting
some of the dead/top off until it look reasonable.

thanks
waterboy